our group is guided by the following principles
- We believe in the inherent value of all people.
- We believe that the state of a person's parenthood is highly dependent on the state of her/his personhood. We encourage all parents to value, respect and advocate for themselves, and expect others to do the same in ways that keeps them safe.
- Parents cannot give from a depleted source. Every parent needs emotional, mental, physical and spiritual valudation, nourishment and support. When a parent is respected and well cared for, she/he, and the whole family, will benefit.
- We believe that speaking the truth about parenthood is a revolutionary act which breaks the silence and and isolation in all of us. In our groups we support parents in naming the deep challenges they are experiencing, knowing that there are few places where parents can be truthful about the full spectrum of their experience.
- Parents are raising the next generation. What we do for ourselves and our families today will ripple far into the future. We all want to raise our children to be the strong and loving adults, leaders and the parents they can be. Parenting is the most important job there is.
- We know that parenting can be both a joyful and a challenging experience. We explore the complex realities of the parenthood experience. We do not sugarcoat it, but look for opportunities to find the gold, even in the darkest places.
- We know that parenthood is a powerful growth experience for a people. We do not need to be perfect to be perfectly good parents. You are the right parent for your children.
- We have confidence that every person has the wisdom within to navigate life when she/he feels heard, validated and honored for who she/is, as he/she is.
Life After Birth is an affiliate of PS Washington (Perinatal Support Washington). We utilize the MotherWoman model of facilitation, from which we have obtained the above principles.